Saturday, May 22, 2010

Happy Birthday to my niece, Robyn!!!

Picture it......I'm 21 years old, "studying" for finals on the sun deck at my dorm at Baylor in my finest of bathing costumes and I get the news that my sister had a baby girl!!! May 23, 1968, Robyn Leigh Bryant graced our presence at a little more than 6 pounds and not very long! I don't have all the details....I'm not her mother....but I know she was little and cute! She was the first grandchild and niece of the Brooks-Bryant-Bain clan; 4 more were to follow but none cuter!

Robyn loved puppies, purses and shoes!! She still loves purses and shoes but couldn't care less about puppies! She had one of my schnauzers, "Wolfy", and he turned out to be crazy and they gave him away, twice, and now he rests in the land of wherever bad dogs go! He cured her of ever wanting another dog!

Bill, aka "Uncle Bucky" (affectionately named by Robyn and Melissa), and I kept Robyn when she was about 4 for a short time and one hot afternoon she tried to escape our backyard by climbing barefooted over our cedar fence! The thought makes my feet hurt now!! She must have had 200 stickers in the bottom of her little feet; Bill was elected to try to get them out! You think I'm not very gentle and tender!!! Bill makes me look like Mother Theresa! He sat her out on the back porch and proceeded to pull them out with the tweezers! She screamed until CPS came and rescued her!! I think this is when she started thinking of new names for her uncle and she came up with Uncle Bucky!! She probably wanted to nickname him something worse!!

When she was 3, I remember she couldn't say words with the letter "L" in them very well and we would always try to get her to say things with "L" in them so I guess we could laugh at her. I once said, "Robyn, can you say yellow?" and in her quick wit said, "No, but I can say pink"!! She had high ambitions as a young lady; she wanted to grow up and be a cheerleader!! Wonder where you go to school for that? Not Baylor!! and that's where she wanted to go. I don't think she ever tried out for Baylor cheerleaders; by that time she had discovered her other talents.

She wasn't exactly athletic and didn't like to sweat! (I might add that she still doesn't like to sweat and would love to live where there is zero humidity!! She complains about Houston's climate to this day but she sure does like to come visit my lake and jet ski!!!) She found a sport that was cold and didn't require sweating. When she was 7, she attended an ice skating birthday party and the rest is history! She took private lessons and then what followed were costumes, early morning practices, lots of driving over to Dallas, competitions, special blades, custom boots and only two scars to show for it!! She skated at the age of 10 for the opening of the ice rink at Prestonwood Mall with Jojo Starbuck - (wonder if she started the coffee franchises after her days on ice???). She was asked by some pro if she could move to Chicago and train!! (Wish someone had asked me if I wanted to ship one of my kids off to Chicago - I might have been more tempted!) She was nicknamed the little "dragonfly" because she was little and skated really fast. Her main goal was to skate fast enough "so her skirt would blow in the wind". She was a better skater than a cheerleader and she can still skate. She proved it to us a few years ago at Christmas when all the kids went skating one night. She even beat her cousin, David, in a race!! She never fell; can't say that for the rest of them - of course she still had her special skates and the rest of them had old rented skates!!

She took dance lessons, tap and baton like all little girls and loved the costumes and performing. She and her cousin, Jenny, were always putting on shows for the family and loved to try to organize the other two wild ones in the clan. David and Melissa were definitely a challenge and didn't cooperate very well so they were always given the bit parts while Jen and Robyn were always the lead roles with lots of lines and costume changes. I think Jaime was too young to have to be included; just as well....one less to organize! These performances came in handy when she went to Baylor and had to be in "Sing" for her sorority, "Theta". (I think that is how you spell that; I never was in one....P.E. majors didn't have time for such frivolity!)

She was not without faults!! Once she and her little friend across the street, who will remain nameless, went door to door to collect money for the Girl Scouts.....only thing wrong with this is that she wasn't in Girl Scouts....or Brownies....or Boy Scouts.....nothing!!! She simply stole the money and then, like all of us that get caught at our sins, promptly blamed it on someone else!! "I didn't ask for the money; the other girl did......but I took it!!" They spent the rest of the hot afternoon sweating, going door to door to return the money! What she didn't know was that all she had to do was buy some GS cookies and sell them for a profit!! Everyone loves Thin Mints and would have gladly paid extra for them!! Wish I had some right now....

Robyn has a great sense of humor and quick wit. We want her to write children's books but so far I haven't been invited to a book signing. I think she is ignoring God's gift but there is hope. She is quiet in a large group until you get to know her - then she has a loud, infectious laugh! She loves her family, especially her sister. They love to shop and are great buddies even to this day. Two of these pictures prove their love - a banana pudding fight at New Braunfels. I think Robyn got the worst end of the skirmish. I wish they had used the salad instead of the pudding!! Her cousins are more like sisters and a brother to her. They have had many hours of fun and laughter together. She has many pictures to prove it - she loves photography like her favorite aunt - OK.....I'm her only aunt but I'm still her favorite! She, too, always has a camera for every occasion and will probably be buried with it. Some people want to be buried with their books around them; we want our pictures around us! We call and talk photography all the time...some people talk about recipes and cooking.....not us!! She doesn't like cooking either but does it more than I do! She has to - she has 3 hungry boys to feed! My one hungry boy can drive through McDonalds.

After graduating from Baylor in 1990, Robyn married her high school sweetheart, Rich Rogers. They met at church at age 16 and they married on a cold wintry night in January of 1991. She wanted little girls but God gave her two of the cutest and wildest little boys with lots of energy! She says she's glad now...Harrison and Griffin aren't as expensive as girls, don't whine as much (just hit and fight!) and they won't borrow her shoes or purses! She's the queen of the house has learned a lot about baseball, football, dirty uniforms, crummy umpires, games in the rain and heat, mouthpieces, cups, stinky socks and rally hats. She also has learned how to sweat with grace!!

Robyn is a great niece to Bill and I, a great cousin to Jenny, David and Jaime, a wonderful granddaughter, mom, wife and sister but she is a absolute delight and blessing to Sherry and John!! She is everything they have ever wanted and they are very proud of her, Rich and the boys. Her love for the Lord is evident in all she does! Happy Birthday sweet Robyn. I love you and to prove it, I left out a lot of pictures that I could have used!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment