Monday, June 15, 2009

A Busy Sunday

After church today, Bill and I went to the Nord to eat; he had had enough of my good meals and wanted something mundane so we ate at the Bistro. Then we proceeded to get a couple of things for the kids that were coming to stay for 2 weeks. (The girls just left their other grandparents home in Crawford, near George W; they had been to Bible School at Valley Mills Baptist Church. It isn't as big as FBC but I'm sure equally glorious.) The Galleria doesn't have a toy store so we went to Toys R Us in Katy on the way home. We got a few things, but that wasn't enough. "More is always better" is Bill's motto. When he dies, I think I'll put up 2 tombstones! He wants a bench...why? I'm not going to take a picnic lunch out to the graveyard and ponder while eating. But, more IS always better with him, so we proceeded to Michael's craft store. We got a few more things and then I lost him in the store. This is his usual mode of operation! He always leaves me in a store and never says where he's going. For 10 minutes I wandered around the store with all the other craft nerds with my assorted junk and tried to find him. Finally I turned down the aisle with bird houses and there he was, on his knees, looking at 8,000 little bottles of paint. He looked up and said, "do you see Emperor's gold?" what???? what are you doing on the floor and what is Emperor's Gold? I helped him up and we finally headed to the check out counter. We had paint by number, pads of paper, water colors, new crayolas, Pez, a battery-operated fan, bird houses to paint (with emperor's gold!) and to top it off, a rock tumbler!!!! It is running right now and has to for several days. It sounds like an old fashioned ice cream machine. The girls arrived at 6, we were on the lake by 7:30 and they are in bed by 10. They haven't painted anything yet!
After doing my most favorite job in the whole wide world, typing for Bill, Jenny and I went to The Kroger (that's what old people call their grocery store - The Kroger, like it was the only one in the world.) We picked up a few things that could suffice as meals for the week such as popsicles, corn dogs, "watermelon bread" which is what Allie calls lemon cake, milk, fruit, dental floss, shampoo and one roast. I don't know what we'll have with this roast; maybe ding dongs and bean dip! Anyway, we headed to check out and realized they don't have anyone working at the check out counters at that hour. Our only choice was to check it out yourself!! Oh, no! I hate those machines. We tried to act civilized but the lady "inside" the machine was a bit testy and sometimes downright nasty! She kept telling us to "put the items back on the bagging area"!!!! Well, I would if you could say it nicely and IF there was room to put it - but there wasn't anymore room! She got louder and louder and I wanted to punch the machine! We finally found a way to shut her up....there's a button to push to by-pass that command!! We finally left and bought gas at midnight....always a safe thing for 2 girls to do in the dark! She just got a new car and we had to get out the 2" thick manual to find out how to shut the "fuel filler flap" more commonly referred to as a gas cap!! After 5 minutes, I wanted to punch the manual!

We had spent enough money today and it is time to go to bed. I have a few chores to do before retiring - I must set up all the crafts for Mop's and Pop's Bible School. We will not be out done by Valley Mills Baptist. Two Bible schools in 2 weeks might seem like too much but.......remember "more is always better".

No comments:

Post a Comment